PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LPL/MAN controllers -- opinions please?
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2002, 01:04
Max Angle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you will find that the procedure for any performance A aircraft (ie anything flying for an airline operation) is to climb straight ahead until 1500ft AGL. The obstacle clearance is only considered within a narrow path in front of the take-off runway and any turn outside of that path could put the aircraft into an obstacle.

Obstacle clearance turns exist for some runways that have high terrain in the normal take-off path and the max. take-off wieght is much reduced to take in to account the lower rate of climb (which, may anyway be only 500fpm) that turning produces. These procedures are only published (by the airlines performance dept. )because of terrain but I would have thought that there are runways like LPL 09 where a turn should be put in to keep traffic separated as well. Trouble is it will clobber a lot of operations with a big weight penalty so I can't see it happening. We do certainly need some communication between aircraft performance guys, ATCO's and pilots on this one before there is a nasty.