PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BARS and its effect on GA companies?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2011, 15:29
Cactusjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mostlytossas, you are bang on the money old timer!
On a personal note I do not criticize any safety initiative that will improve safety in the Australian aviation community, no problem there. But BARS is a standard and process that has been put together for the unofficial purpose of competitive tendering for audit work. The standards themselves are in several ways flawed, BARS is meant to cover not only GA but some LOCAP/HICAP operators as well. One size shoe does not fit all.

BARS is a commercially driven enterprise, it was designed after several high profile aviation resource incidents to spook resource companies into taking assertive action. Again I reiterate that any improvement in safety is commendable, no questions asked, but BARS has not been developed simply for the greater good of mankind, it is not 'the be all and end all'. I personally have working knowledge of several organizations who meet and exceed the BARS principles, so in effect any resource company that pays an auditor to audit these organizations against BARS is actually wasting their money. But on the other hand and to be reasonable, the fact that sets of specific standards are being developed and considered is a proactive safety initiative and is welcomed. I just get annoyed at seeing the guise of 'safety' being flogged when BARS is a money spinner.