PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long to fly to.........
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2011, 11:13
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backpacker

Take your point VFR but using route generator programmes IFR can give you a IFR route in seconds then its a matter of filing the plan.

It really comes down to does someone fly for fun or do you have to! My flying in twins and jets have mostly been under the have to banner often to locations mid winter, at night, early morning, late night etc so the aircraft has to be equipt to deal with icing and have back up systems.

I have enjoyed something like 95% to 98% despatch rates but in capable aircraft and IFR.

Where an aircraft works well is on multiple destinations in one day where there maybe meetings in well spaced destinations especially where the meetings are setup at the airport or near by hotels etc.
Most handling agents or even Hotels have conference facilities.

From my angle I prefer a twin although some are happy with a capable single.
If its under the fly for fun banner then a light single can still be used for business trips but more as a treat than a practical form of transport.

IE if you do a regular business trip and drive most of the time you can always take the aircraft when conditions are good rather than planning to take the aircraft even a week ahead of a business meeting.

Plan on the car then night before decide on the aircraft if all looks good!

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 28th Nov 2011 at 11:24.