PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tropic Helicopters, Inc. Information Please!
Old 27th Nov 2011, 22:15
rotorspike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tropic

There are two main helicopter operators in the fishing industry here. Hansen and Tropic. Both are pretty similar. Same helicopters, crew and size.
There is a a fair bit of information around for both companies. Both are Ok if you do your job properly. I have been with both on and off over the past ten years. You will hear a lot of bar talk and complaints about both companies. Usually the Zero to Hero low hour wannabees who will not make it where ever they went anyway. Hansens are fairly hard nosed. Tropic a bit more laid back. Be careful with your insurance with Hansens. Tropic for sure have their crew well covered. The other operator is HeliGuam (rebadged as PESCA Helicopters) who certainly should be avoided. HeliGuam have gone from about ten helicopters to two or three in the last 5 years. If you get bad feedbacks for either company it will usually be based on bar talk and rumors. Usually about crew not getting their bonus, or put shore and sent home, or similar. This does happen, but the companies are not stupid. In every case I am aware of its been with good reason. There is no room for dope addled cowboys out here. Ask for specific examples with the authors names. In other words "put up or shut up", and take story to the companies for validation if you are serious, and I suspect you will get a different side coin.
Basically its good easy flying, food can be bad, can be good, same for the boats and the fishing masters.