PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe - 6
Thread: FlyBe - 6
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2011, 21:48
Cloud1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really have to disagree with you that GCI is a 'backward operation'. By the way, SI only compete on JER - MAN, not from GCI.

The reason for the withdrawal is that Flybe are very selective as to when they run the route, see here for a story on their out of the blue 2008 suspension. Then they complained about a lack of open skies policy when their license was withdrawn. We don't have room for cherry-picking in Guernsey and Alderney, and Aurigny generally serve those communities very well well. As such, they are rewarded for it and Flybe should either be more consistent over the winter months or they shouldn't complain.
Well, it is my opinion. I feel that the States of Guernsey are something of a joke as well. Whether you agree or not is up to you

Flybe are a company, not a charity, and as such need to make money through fares and ancilliary revenue. They are not subsidised as are other airlines and therefore 'cherry picking' routes is what enables them to serve these communities in the long run. By operating a route all year long that makes no money, the airline could well end up making heavy losses and that said community could lose the airline and its routes all together. This wont happen to Aurigny though as the States will always bail them out if they needed to using the tax payers money I expect.

Anyway, the license has been revoked and thats it. Just wanted to clarify that its not a case of BE operating any routes when it suits them, more when demand allows.

I cannot comment on the E195 bit because I do not know the ins and outs. I was aware that the E175 was granted approval but this was stopped because of yet another disagreement between the States and BE. Considering that BE have been in GCI for years, and has had a big impact on enabling the airport to develop, it is a shame that there is not more (apparent) support and a constructive relationship between the two.

As for rickety planes, I am unsure as to what you mean exactly when you refer to the Landing Gears. I can only assume you are referring to the problems that happened a couple of years ago which didnt actually have any direct link to BE. So irrelevant really. However some of the older Q400's are being phased out as the company had intended - the average age of the fleet is still very young all things considered.

Does anyone know if BHD is likely to get any based 175s?
It is quite possible but the first 4 have already been allocated to MAN, INV & ABZ. I believe the 5th will be BHX and then after that, not sure. BE have always said that with the right aircraft it would open up European expansion from BHD. Whether this goes ahead following WW arrival who knows.