PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish LOT 767 wheels up landing
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2011, 13:22
Self Loading Freight
None but a blockhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As SLF with some experience of fault-finding in complex systems, albeit noncritical ones, I think the crew acted very well. Given the fault occurred practically at take-off, was intimately connected with gear movement and didn't seem to be symptomatic of wider problems, the probability is that it wouldn't affect the flight until landing. Thus, taking as much time as possible to fix it is sensible and continuing to the destination while running through diagnostics and taking advice over the blower is eminently sane.

I agree completely with Mr Boeing in that a popped CB should stay that way, through experience of my own in blowing expensive things up. Given that the crew was in contact with tech support, it seems very unlikely that the CB being popped went unchecked or unknown - with all that time in hand, you have the luxury of going into as much detail as you like short of actually disassembling the gear.

Also, it is very hard to imagine that the flight crew lacked the motivation or skills to do a proper investigation of the problem; unless it was a very dysfunctional cockpit indeed with terrible CRM and a nutsoid skipper, I can't see any of the factors present which normally couple bad decisions to bad outcomes.

More information may render any or all of the above moot, of course, and the thoughts of a Sunday afternoon non-pilot are worth the pixels they're written in, but I'd fly across the Atlantic with that crew as happily as I'd down a shot of Żubrówka.