PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do Air NZ and other Kiwi pilots fare?
Old 27th Nov 2011, 08:57
captncannot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OZ is a little more exotic perhaps.
bah hahaha :-) good one :-)

Oz supermarkets are much more expensive. Australian beer is much cheaper in New Zealand, where nobody really wants it anyway because we have a far more sophisticated brew culture in comparison. The number of boutiquey beer brands in NZ supermarkets probably outnumbers Australia 4 to one these days. (Actually Australian beer is WAY cheaper in Hong Kong than in Australia.)

The real estate in Australia is way more expensive if you're talking only about Sydney and Melbourne. Perhaps that will change when China stops buying everything Australia can dig up, who knows. Australia is probly the only country I've lived in that actually thinks a high dollar is something to be proud of - cheering along as their manufacturing, stock market and tourism slide down the toilet, masked by the commodity prices as everything is sold to China, where it is processed and sold back to Australia. It has a bit of a temporary feel to it. Probably even more temporary as their industry is hit with all the Carbon Tax nonsense. Middle class Australia has a bit of a sucker punch coming in that department.

But, offsetting that, Australian pilots are paid more than 50% better than Kiwi pilots in the same seat/fleet/company.

Ultimately if you take a "total investment portfolio by age 55" tally then both of them are s**t places to live as a pilot IMHO. Very low pay compared to other places eg Asia. But I'd probably pick Australia for its higher disposable income if I was forced to.

The average Australian pilot has a much better lifestyle as compared to the average Kiwi pilot in the same seat/fleet, because the wage gap offsets the much higher cost of living in Australia.