PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2011, 04:55
The Big E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfast / Crowley Aircraft Rego and Type.

The aztecs used by Crowley's were AVB, UNK, PAY, CSA. Perhaps others. Crowleys became PANGA Airways shortly after that and part of TALAIR a year later.

Hey DeRated, how you are? Around September or October 1974 I was working for Airfast Helicopters Sydney, and on Tour to PNG as a Field LAME based in Lae. I went to Wakunai (Bougainville Is.) to repair an Aztec P2-MEA which was sitting on its belly with 2 damaged props. Armed with serviceable replacements of 3 U/C legs and 2 props I stood it up and got it serviceable for the Ferry flight to Lae (via Rabaul) with the Gear Down, as I had mechanically locked the gear down for safety reasons. As assurance for the pilot I passengered in it to Rabaul. There were also 2 Cessna 205s based at Kieta, P2-CSA and CSC from memory. Aztec P2-UNK was based in Rabaul at that time. The rest of the fleet were usually in Lae, and I am not sure of the BN2 Rego, but there was also a C207 Turbo P2-DMS, and 2 C402s P2-UNK?, and a blue and white one which I think may have been PAY. G T was the CP at that time, and D T was a Crowley LAME, both living in Lae.
I subsequently did a tour to Darwin (survived Cyclone Tracy), and was back in Lae early 1975, before finishing at Airfast and joining PX in Lae duringApril 1975. Moved to PX Moresby during December 1976 when the maintenance was centralised at POM. Regards, Big E