PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Exodus II
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2011, 02:07
Going Boeing

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Posted by Me Myself
Where do you get those 1000 pilots out of a job figures. Sounds to me like half the Qantas pilots are goners ?? Is this not a tad exagerated?
You obviously don't understand the Clifford/Joyce long term plan. The aim is to move every job possible offshore which in reality means that as many as 20,000 Qantas jobs will go - the only staff remaining will be the customer contact/ramp/baggage staff who cannot physically be based elsewhere. They want all pilots & cabin crew domiciled offshore (yes, even all the domestic crews) as the salary/superannuation/tax savings will more than offset the increased cost of accommodation/allowances (well, in their view). The big item in their thinking is that they will be rid of the legacy Certified Agreements and those "bully boy" unions.

This won't happen overnight because it would be impossible to implement, but the B767 fleet is the first to face the chop, followed by the B747 fleet. The replacement aircraft (& crews) will be based out of places like Singapore and Auckland and will take over the routes flown by the retiring fleets.

Will this scenario really happen - if we don't fight them, it would.
Personally, I think that the public is onto Clifford & Joyce and the noose is beginning to tighten. I know that I will continue to fight these PR1CKS all the way and will celebrate wildly when this example of "corporate greed" is sent packing.

So, back to your question - no, this is not a tad exaggerated!