PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - moving to QATAR
Thread: moving to QATAR
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2011, 22:26
..Quagmire..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been here 4+ years.

There are some really dumb rules here. And boy do these people like to follow these dumb rules. The multi exit visa is one of many classic examples. Just go with it.

If I am interpretting it correctly..... (as I haven't given it much thought)

On being "sponsored" your sponsor decides if YOU need to seek his permission to leave the country or not. (you could specify this for your wife when you sponsor her!) Qatar airways requires that pilots do. (i.e. a SINGLE EXIT Permit is required each time you leave Qatar).
However, you can pay 500QR (Er, why you have to pay?) any now you can come and go as you please, any time, as if there was no such thing as an exit permit!
Oh, and also (as previously mentioned) Qatar airways now require that all pilots HAVE to have a multi exit visa! So, it's bizarre and stupid. On one hand they want you to seek permission to exit the country and on the other hand they require you to have a multi exit visa so that you don't EVER need to ask their permission to leave the country! Welcome to Qatar. Basically, think of it as a 500QR tax you pay it each year.

Not too much critical thinking goes on here. For example, they haven't realised that when you go to work on a jet, you usually leave the country - but you didn't get your sponsors permission. (i.e. cabin crew). So an exit visa is totally useless anyway. So why have it? Hmmmm.... good question.....Answers on a post card please..... But wouldn't it save hundreds of thousands of dollars if the scheme was scrapped?....Hmmmmm....yes. So shall we scrap it....Hmmmm.....well I've checked my manual and it doesn't mention that so I don't know.... But do you think that would be a good idea?.....Hmmmm..... I'm sorry sir.....I've told you already it doesn't say in my manual...... But surely you can think for yourself can't you?.....hang on sir, I need to go and check with my boss to confirm that.........my boss says it says nothing about that in his manual either sir.....please come back tomorrow......

The whole country functions by moving one bit of paper from one desk to another, getting a "permission", stamping it, then passing it back to the first person. (I know, it's 2011, why not do it over the Internet?). Usually though these two desks are about 10 miles apart and it takes 2 days for someone to be bothered to sign it, unless you gently remind them that it's ok to stamp it while you watch them!

Any permission is basically a formality. Nobody checks anything, they just write a letter, or stamp something, it's just paperwork for the hell of it. You need "permission" (or letters of "no objection" - ha ha, that's the same thing isn't it?) to get car loans, liquor licences, bank loans, RP renewals etc, etc....

It's all silly and a waste of time and pointless, but it makes someone somewhere FEEL like they have a hold over you (when really they don't) but just go with the flow.

The long and the short of it is they don't want you to run off with outstanding loans, so you have to get permission to leave the country first - but that doesn't really work for pilots and cabin crew as discussed above with my attempt at humour!!!

I'm sure someone will "correct me" and point out lots of sensible reasons for exit visa's. (like: it's always been like that, or it stops bad people from doing bad things or because I read it in my manual)

Once you understand all that you can get over it and have fun.

at least you can buy pork here now. With NO extra paperwork too