PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Euro American School of Aviation Ormond Beach FL - AVOID!!!!!!!
Old 26th Nov 2011, 16:15
Gomrath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mad_jock
1. The student has a very hard time of it if anything goes wrong miles away from home.
It depends on what attitude the student has before turning up. If s/he expects everything done and on a plate, then most will be disappointed. You get out only what you are prepared to put it. As you said, you have to have the writtens completed in advance and be a bit 'streetwise'.
2. The consumer protection isn't what they think.
Pay by credit card and don't accept second best. Check your bill constantly.
3. TSA pain in the arse
Not at all, It is a very simple process. Signup, complete electronic submission, pay fee, get fingerprints, wait for acknowledgement - job done.
4. Visa's lock you into a single school and if they decide to be difficulty you can get royally screwed.
No it does not. True, you cannot just walk out and decide to then go find another school but if you find the school intolerable, they are obliged to transfer your visa to another school. It will cost you however, plus another TSA fee.
5. Standard of instruction is the same as EU you get very bad all the way up to very good but see point 4. You have no option but to endure bad instruction which maybe because of personality clashes.
You always have an option. Perhaps the CAA should do more to validate these overseas approved schools.
6. Insurance both medical and renters insurance.
You have to sort out medical insurance when going on vacation to most foreign countries. Renters insurance is optional but as with any insurance it is the renters risk.
7. Fine print. All the JAR schools have it down to an art and if you decide to sue them they will cancel your visa and get you thrown out.
The priority is Flight Training, move to another school before threatening action against the first school.
8. The whole ball ache of getting paper work sorted out if you get knocked back for license issue.
Again., I guess it comes down to preparation and getting the ducks aligned.

Don't get me wrong I was simply commenting on the blanket statement of "stay away from the US".