PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Confidence. Vote here.
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2011, 17:28
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what the outcome with the JQ'S case, we all need to remember that it is time for CASA to open its ears and listen and learn.

This thread is not about a witch hunt, although perhaps a few witches need burning at the stake, but it is more about getting a closer working relationship between the regulator and everyone else. The JQ case is just a leading example of where the regulator is in need of our help.

Remember many are good folk, helpful and not like this madness mindset. The rest need education or a new career.

I have to work with CASA in a small way, I'm seeing some positive changes. Yet others are not.

If I was in J Mac's shoes I would be on the case of all FOI's demanding no prosecutions, unless really necessary as they cost far too much money. I would be insisting on, no, demanding, more country town copper hey son, let's have a talk about this, kind of field education.

As pilots and LAMES we need to have a different feeling towards the CASA field folk. As an example when I do an instrument renewal with Alan Dunbar, I look forward to the experience, is he a soft touch, no way, but it is always an educational experience. You come away from it having learned heaps, and better for it. Instead with a CASA rep, mostly folk will shut up or hide from them. And chances are a few of them might be like Alan Dunbar.

We need to get to the point where a CASA rep is not feared, if they wander into a hangar or onto the apron, people feel happy to see them and great them in the hope they may actually share something good. It may be we share something that educates them, or alerts them to something that needs attention. Now wouldn't that be different?

In order to get closer to the industry CASA need to have a complete, not partial, a complete image change, as I said before, they need to sell themselves better, but first they need to improve the product.

The JQ case should never have gone past a few meetings, compare notes, and in the end CASA agreeing the flying was not outside the limits but maybe right on them, and the operator and all it's pilots agreeing to tone it down a bit. Instead of a let's nail his arse big time approach. If a closer more proactive approach was taken years ago, the Metro would not be speared into that hill in FNQ.

If JMAC or anyone at CASA wants to discuss this further, or contract me as a change culture consultant, let me know.