PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One time MNPS authorisation
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2011, 13:19
eckhard

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have dual independent long range navigation systems?

Mutt
You only need Dual LRN systems if you want unrestricted MNPS approval. With one LRN system, MNPS may be approved, but restricted to the 'Blue Spruce' routes.

In a CJ1, this is not a practical restriction as the limited range of the aircraft dictates following the 'Blue Spruce' routes anyway. So, the only advantage of having MNPS approval is the ability to follow the 'Blue Spruce' routes at a reasonable flight level - BUT;

due to lack of radar coverage in southern Greenland, you probably won't get cleared above FL280 anyway because of the problems involved in descending/climbing through airliner traffic on the way into and out of BGBW.

Therefore, in a CJ1 (or other aircraft with range <1600nm) you don't really need MNPS approval. The only time this may be useful is on the leg from the UK/Scandinavia to Iceland, where you will have to descend to FL280 when you enter the Reykjavik (BIRD) FIR.

Yogibaboo If you PM me I can give you lots of useful info. I fly this route four times a year in a CJ1 and another four times a year in a CJ3. The CJ3 is easier because you can go direct BIRK-CYYR but the CJ1 is more fun (BGBW!)

Eckhard