PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Mann Helicopters (Nostalgia thread)
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2011, 17:31
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At that point in British executive/corporate rotary aviation there had been remarkably few dramatic fatalities of this nature (probably the closest incident was three years earlier when G-AXAY (on contract to Plessey) came apart above Inkpen Hill near Hungerford).
As mentioned (above) on the Ferranti thread, G-AXAY was a particularly unpleasant episode and I remember my godfather sharing with me the conjecture among the rotary fraternity in '74. There had been speculation as to whether the pilot's briefcase (stowed atop the instrument panel) had played a part in the dramatic loss of control. Can anyone remember the name of the pilot who flew AXAY on that unfortunate day?

The Plessey contract seems to have done the rounds with Bristow using a 206 for some time then, one assumes Mann had it for a while. Ferranti also served this contract (for about two years if I remember correctly).

Sadly I have never been able to obtain a clear shot of AXAY .. indeed the best I can do is her yellow tailpiece (below) behind another 206:

G-AXAY (behind another 206) in July 1973