PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2011, 09:10
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Springs, force transducers, physical feedback, et al

Salute!

Looks like more efforts to blame the Bus versus the pilot, or a combo.

I have gone on record as feeling some Bus design features did not "help" the crew, but also feel most blame will still rest upon the shoulders of the crew and the mentality that the jet will "protect you".

Our physical feed back from motion/position of the stick is pretty decent if flying something as I did. Larger roll and pitch rates, and the inner ear sensors and the gee sensors in your butt helped. But the big heavies don't respond all that fast, so using visual cues ( like the instruments or outside the windshield) is the primary feedback, huh?

Spring failure is a red herring, IMHO.

About the only thing I would do is add force transducers to the grip as we had in the SLUF. That sucker had the same stick grip as the original Viper. So with "control augmentation" active, the first four pounds of stick pressure commanded control surface deflection with the angular position of the stick "frozen". Used to test this on test flights. Above the four pounds of pressure, you had to move the stick in an angular fashion, just like the "old" planes. If anything, the springs on the Bus stick may be too light. Maybe increase the pressure/force required to move that sucker a lot.

Just some thoughts from an old dino.