PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2011, 15:38
thepotato232

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for cropping my statement so as to completely reverse it's meaning, Lena.

Really? You would expect the president in this situation to be fully cognizant of the terrible risks involved in descent below minima or scud running?
And the answer is "no". I would not expect the president to know the risks. I would expect the president to think that nothing in the wide world is as important as landing the plane right now so he may go about whatever world-shattering diplomatic adventures are on the agenda for today. I would expect the pilots to take into account that the president's sphere of influence does not extend to the laws of physics. However terrible the consequences for disappointing the president, I hope we are in agreement that the consequences for the chosen course of action were worse.

The weather at the airport was contributory. Pressure from the VIP on the plane was contributory. The pilots' decision to descend below safe minima was causative. These are important distinctions in post-accident cleanup.