PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do turbine engines require a compressor section
Old 25th Nov 2011, 08:57
TURIN

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts
The prop is a compressor; the fan in a turbofan is a compressor; and so is the compressor (doh!) in a straight jet or a turboprop
Erm, I have to query that.
Does a prop actually compress? If so what is it's actual practical effect on the overall compression cycle?

The gas turbine section of a turboprop can be (but isn't always) de-linked from the prop, a free power turbine drives the prop. I would have to see the numbers but I'm not sure what contribution to the overall compression cycle the prop will actually give. Especially in some of the more complex reverse flow turbine engines.
In a directly linked turboprop such as the RR Dart, would there be any compression effect from the prop? I can't see how there would be much flow increase from the root of the blade into the intake. Discuss.

The fan in a turbofan can be referred to as the LP compressor (EG RR RB211) and I can see how that would work.

In an aft-fan config of course it would have no effect on the compression at all. Maybe that's one of the reasons the idea was only used briefly. Convair 880 is the only on I can think of, no idea what make/model the engine is.)

No axe to grind just trying to understand what the OP is after.