PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2011, 18:26
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lyman
Cruise: +3. Add 1 degree, FOUR degrees nose low.
No - this is what we call "moving the goalposts" in the UK.

And CLIMBING.
No - even if you go by the vertical speed trace (which starts climbing before the altimeter trace), climb is not established until 02:10:11, at which point the pitch attitude is approximately seven degrees nose up and continuing in that direction.

The airframe is not Protected in ROLL in AL2, so your "67 Degrees" is meaningless.
You misunderstand me - I was not saying the aircraft was protected, I was saying that even with the aircraft at it's max bank angle in the stall, it was 27 degrees shallower than the absolute maximum the computers will allow when the protections *are* working, hence any idea that it was about to go inverted is complete hogwash.

I know you want to believe in a heroic PF that was wrestling a bad aircraft, but it simply is not borne out by the evidence. What we have is a relatively young pilot who was badly let down by his employer and was never trained for the situation in which he found himself. Having not been trained, he made the wrong choice when he raised the nose beyond five degrees. He compounded that by making another wrong choice and trying to keep the nose up and applied TOGA. He made a further wrong choice when he tried to deploy the speedbrakes. Bad move after bad move after bad move - but he'd never been told the right move.

@grity -
exist the (very smal) possibility of a undiscovered worn or brocken rod-spring into the sidestick ???
Very unlikely, or the BEA's simulated responses would not have tracked so closely. The videos you post show normal sidestick deflection during low-altitude operations, including takeoff, initial climb, approach and landing - but you shouldn't see those kind of deflections in cruise.