PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helisika Squirrel hits wires in Downtown Auckland'd Viaduct.
Old 24th Nov 2011, 02:34
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as an observation here & obviously just an opinion when the main rotor hit the cable/object the sudden 'jolt' I believe would have been transmitted right thru the airframe instantly as all that energy has to be dissipated somewhere so the tail/boom which has a fair weight hung right out at the end of it (the tail rotor/gearbox) would have acted like a lever placing a force upon the boom snapping it (the boom)off where it attaches to the main body almost the instantly the main blades got whacked. Also the tail blades where trying to hold the tail steady even during the instant event making the strain on the boom attach point even more stressed under load. Watch closely the main cabin shake violently also & that is probably half the distance from the main rotor shaft, the central point of any chopper.
I've had this very same end result myself with a toy heli, the main blades hit an immovable object & the first thing that let go was the boom, tears where next on the scene !:-(.

That's one lucky driver not to mention personal in the immediate area!

Wmk2