PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2011, 04:00
boxerpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To whoever that matters.

Thanks to AB and the other gents who took the time to reply genuine queries and comments. I have to say that these forums for whatever it has been called is still very important to provide information to help anyone make an informed decision. To those that want 'quick fix' answers, spend some time looking through the 179 pages and more. The historic data will help you develop a mental picture but ultimately its your decision. As for cost of living as well as pay packages, it is a fact of life that the days of the expatriate terms are numbered. More aspiring pilots, pay to fly guys as well as the increase of GA and affordability plus fake licenses as well as inflated hours with an overall worldwide reduction in military experience due to shrinking armed forces exacerbates the problems. All corporations will be run by bean counters as well as management decisions based on prudence.
So for all young and aspiring pilots. Never forget why you have a dream. You have chosen a skill over a possibly stable 9-5 job or one subscribed by many in today's industrial age. But if u really believe in yourself and what u want, most flying jobs are regularized and many steps have been taken since the old 'cowboy' days.
I feel the frustration of the guys seeing a once proud and honorable profession being 'downsized' to being called 'overpaid, over glorified and spoilt bus drivers' by the people who don't even fly.
But make your own choice and don't look back. Remember a good point for interviews. 'loyalty'. CX has put in measures to ensure people don't jump ship by P2X hours and reward loyalty downstream. Albeit, much lower than the old A and B scale days. But look around asia... most airlines are offering C scale minus (explains Qantas move of RedQ to
KL or SG).
I have been following and tracking developments for
the Asia pacific area for the last 3 years. It's not going to get very much better.
The captains and FOs are playing musical chairs.
But as AB has rightly pointed out. The sandpit is a developing area with money.But that deal will run out at some point. Ironically for those who might be interested to know. Jetstaraisa is 70% manned by foreign nationals, ex SIA expatriates on local terms. Most recently Air Mexicana pilots and more from Europe that are having no chance of command as Captains never move. Imagine, an SFO with 14,000 hours!!
Now with Thomas cook collapse, they have also started pouring into Asia to grab jobs.
So no doubt about it, there are jobs and there are jobs. I am only in a slightly better position cos I spent 20yrs in the military on fast jets as an instructor. But to tell you guys the truth, I had to come out and spend many hours in books, magazines, forums, networking and simple commitment.
I hope the younger guys do not lose faith. But never forget this. you are joining an industry judged by your peers. U earn your own keep and you build credibility.These traits have been itierated many times by guys 'frustrated' with the 'youthful' ignorance and lack of initiative. But I have had the good fortune of information passed to me and would help a mate in need anytime. PM me if u are going for transitional training interviews and I can give u the updates.

Otherwise keep the posts coming. Fellow pilots who come through Singapore. Always open to expanding the network with like-minded people. You never know who u gonna work for or with. Cheers