PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old maps/pictures
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 22:50
sixtiesrelic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I get a chance I'll scan a couple of mine.
The one to the west of that Darwin chart above was a different scale .... something like 1: 1,3000,000.
I looked into that discrepency when a couple of us were rehashing the reasons for a Guinea Airways Lockheed14 crash near Pine Creek during the war. The aircraft flew close to the edge of the charts and there could have been a lot of confusion with mapreading in a dark cockpit in the blacked out North... Japs had done some visiting on a number of occasions recently.

It's a great example of blaming the captain... he's dead.

They conveniently swept the investigation under the carpet of wartime secrets which were released about five years ago.

It was a perfect example of chain of events or holes in the cheese, where many living made a silly little mistake and twelve men died.
Basically, the aircraft took off at Archerfield at 0622EST and ploughed in with almost empty tanks in rain and thunderstorms while trying to do a crash landing in the dark at 2128 CST. Yeah! they'd landed three times to refuel on the way. The second pilot had done 135, 127 and 107 hours in the previous months. 'Wartime you see'.

They got a lot of wrong information that had everybody certain they were flying back and forward over Darwin when they were over a hundred miles away.