PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 37 year old ex-soldier (please sign) petition Cancer treatment
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 11:49
airborne_artist
Red On, Green On

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had prostate cancer over twenty years early (compared to the average age at diagnosis), which is why I've come into contact with the drugs decision making system.

Luckily mine was removed in one go by a surgeon and remains in the jar. I've since done a lot of unpaid work as a patient rep in the cancer treatment world. It's not as simple as the journalists make out, I'm afraid.

I feel truly sorry for the soldier, but as TS says, his treatment options choices should be made in the light of the experience of those whose daily job is treating people like him. It's not one for a telephone vote. If it was we'd be giving hope to people and their families where no hope of a cure or even a dignified extension of life should exist. A pain-free and side-effects free end of life may actually be a much better option for him.

Edit:

For some strange reason this post is out of sequence. It should be after post #10