PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 08:10
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jackie

It's only a doddle if the lighting panel operator can actually see the taxiways. If they can't due to fog, then Low Vis procedures become operational, and thus the flow rate decreases.

Heathrow (like HD commented above) also has the follow greens. If it's such a doddle, how come Heathrow and Gatwick have reduced flow rates in fog? Aircraft can land CAT III and they can follow the greens! By your logic and argument there should be no difference to CAVOK.

If, like you say you are, a B767 pilot, I would suggest you get someone in the know at your airline to contact NATS and arrange a visit to the control tower. You might learn a thing or two how ATC actually works.

As you say, in the old days, the 'follow the greens' system was visual. But with the advent of milimetric ground radar, I see no technical problem to doing it in fog. Any reason why not?

And regards taxying, I have not experienced any problems anyway. The delay is always sitting in the hold trying to get down, not the taxy to stand. I cannot say I have ever been delayed in the taxy, apart from taking it slow and steady - but what does that add to a taxy, 3 minutes? (Or 45 minutes at AMS )

Been to the tower many times, and seen how it works, but not for a few years due this absurd security issue. Equally, I have not seen a controller on the flight deck for decades, again due to this security issue (last company would not allow it whatsoever). Does your DofT realise they are making aviation LESS safe?

Turin

Where do we want to take the money from to finance this £50 billion dream over the several years it will take to build? Take your pick:
From the sale of Heathrow for industry and housing.

For Sale: huge new plot to the west of London:
A large new estate is now on the market, with convenient connections to motorway and easy connections to London via dedicated rail and tube lines. This west London estate has fine views over Windsor, and a number of existing building that can be utilised as high quality office space. Easy parking, with bespoke access to the M4 via an underpass. Early viewings are advisable, as this is a very desirable plot of land with planning permission.

Asking price, £60bn

New airport, £50bn

Profit? Loadsamoney....

Timsta

Third problem is that there is insufficient numbers with regard to the local population in North Kent to support a major international airport.
Undoubtedly new towns would have to be built on the north and south shores. But the government has already said it needs to create more housing in the SE (because a sudden New Labour generated rise in population), and so that is already counted for.

The site would be a bit further east than the Lord Foster abortion - directly between Shoeburyness and Sheerness.

Jabird

5) Which airlines, high or low cost, have expressed the slightest interest inthe proposal?
The major airlines would be advised to plan ahead, by advising them that LHR will be closing. The Lo-Co airlines will gravitate to where there are cheap facilities and lots of passengers. If Lo-Cos can go to CDG and AMS, it is not beyond the whit of architects to to add an old shed on one end of the airport for the Lo-Cos.

This is another reason for having two separate short haul runways and a separate short/domestic terminal (with a nice terminal at one end, and an old hangar they found on a farm in Essex at the other end, for the Lo-co fliers).