PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MPA Seedcorn
Thread: MPA Seedcorn
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 13:05
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it is worth, I personally consider the seedcorn concept to be something of a sop/figleaf, so the minister can imply the capability can be regenerated at short notice. I would expect the "seedcorn" to slowly whither on the vine with the passage of time, with anyone who returns, gets promoted, etc not being replaced - but that is my speculation!!
Good post Biggus

Seedcorn poses far more questions than it answers. ASW skills "perished" a long, long time ago. Even before I left (also a long, long time ago) there were Tac Nav captains on the fleet who had never tracked a real nuc (of any country). What was being maintained mostly comprised a mixture of simulations and contrived (ie start with an RV) mutual training. Better than nothing, but far short of the real thing.

Nowadays the skill sets are far more "kit specific" than generic. In the massively unlikely event that we ever get anything like an MPA again (which would hopefully be operated by the RN anyway), the skills required will depend on the kit provided.

Ever since I heard about Seedcorn I wondered what the purpose was...I wonder still? But it does have the whiff of politics about it.

Great postings though.