PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 ditched off Guernsey
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 11:49
RomeoZulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that Fuji Abound has brought some sense back into the topic (the contents of which I entirely agree with) maybe I can add something to the discussion. I was privi to this very sad accident as I was listening to my radio at the time (as I very often do) and can recollect the following circumstances. Guernsey ATC had been calling the (unknown) but thought it was RG for some time as it had entered the CI Zone without calling and was heading in a SW direction squarking 7600. This would seem to rule out electrical failure. It was asking it to perform various turns and change squark if reading. Nothing happened so they asked a PA28 with instructor on board which was in the circuit in Guernsey to go and have a look. RG was about 23 nm nw of Guernsey and therefore about 20 nm west of Alderney (its destination). In the time it took the local aircraft to reach the last known position (about 12 mins) RG had disappeared from the radar. The Russian ship was doing a 180 to return to the ditching site so this pinpointed the accident site. It was at this time that the emergency services ramped up.The rib from the freighter was first on scene to rescue within about 20 minutes (I think) from ditching.The English Channel at this time if the year is just past its peak warmth. It is odd why the ditching had to take place. The visibilty was ok over the channel. I have my own thoughts but will keep them to myself.

As regards flying over water it is a management of risks as per Fuji Abound. I have been flying a SEP for the last 42 years out of Guernsey. Our initial training is done about 20 nm south over the Roche Douvres Lighthouse so well outside gliding distance of anywhere, we wear lifejackets when in the circuit as we are over the water and in all honesty the local fields are too small to make a successful forced landing so the water is more then likely the best option anyway. I will not fly at night over water unless I have too (I know the engine does'nt know its dark but I do).We all carry dingies (which are serviced regularly) and wear life jackets at all times. We all (most) have PLB'S.

I think there is a church service in Alderney tomorrow for Ian so maybe you will all show some respect in your posts please.