PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 03:32
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brantly B-2 G-ARVY at Denham in April 1962 (Photo: Peter Fitzmaurice)

The image above is one from a collection taken by the late Peter Fitzmaurice and comes to us via Bill Teasdale (who's wonderful work has featured several times on this thread). Bill is now the custodian of Peter's fine collection and has written: "I have recently acquired the photo collection of the late Peter Fitzmaurice who sadly died in an aviation accident two years ago. He was well known for his wonderful photos taken in the 1950's and 60's and it is the wish of his widow, Susan, that we should continue to display his photos where they can be appreciated and of value."

Well Bill, they are certainly appreciated here on Nostalgia! Our thanks to Susan Fitzmaurice and for Peter too .. if he's up there reading this!

Not much on the books about "Garvy", she seems to have been a BEAS demonstrator of sorts. Another shot of her, this time at Oxford, to follow in time to come.

Brantly B-2B G-ASHJ at Elstree in September 1964 (Photo: Brian Nichols)

Another fine example of a 60's Brantly in Britain - this one from Brian Nichols who has graciously agreed for his work to be displayed here on Nostalgia.

From BEAS (the Brantly distributor) ASHJ went to Francis Wallis of Loughton in Essex in 1967 and from Loughton to Sunderland in County Durham in 1971 when she was bought by Robert Ryan of Ryan Aviation. Her final owner is recorded as Antony Dean of Leeds.

~ ~ ~

Observe the difference in the canopies between the B2 and the B2B. I know it sounds somewhat childish but .. I remain adamant that when I get the chance I am going to ask someone with an example of the original B2 canopy to place a blade over one of the roof 'bubbles' and pull full pitch and then take a photo revealing the clearance between the blade's trailing edge and the top of the bubble! Yes, I know there will be clearance but .. my guess is that it won't be much - especially with a static blade! The things we think .. lol!

For more Brantlys in Britain see pages: 16 through 20, 44 through 45 and 47.