PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 03:15
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machinbird
I totally agree with what you say and I hate to think what a mess I would make of a night landing. However, training or lack of it is part of the human factor equation. As you mention getting in over one's head is part of learning to fly. But we should learn from that and emerge wiser and more aware. At first it seems so easy and then suddenly it isn't but after the experience we have more respect for the environment and the aircraft. I would hope that pilots flying the big jets would be aware of how to troubleshoot and deal with the issues they face. However, some are not and the whys and wherefores are what make up the human factors. Reading the accident report on Korean Airlines Flight 6316 is instructive. One crew dealt with the instrument problem successfully, the next crew did not and crashed the aircraft. Once again there were all sorts of human factors involved such as CRM (or lack of it) and lack of communication and training. Certainly training for UAS needs to be improved and it needs to be taught as a recogniseable issue. But the fact remains that there was a procedure availaible and a checklist to follow at the time. Maybe not clear but it did exist. It wasn't used and there seems to have been no attempt to troubleshoot the issue professionally. This is cultural as well as a gap in training.