PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 19:54
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skippy:

A smokey candle won't close LCY but the fog you claim to be "imaginary" has done so on several nights this week. A real pilot would not be so flippant.
But fog will not close an airfield with Cat IIIB autoland systems, which LCY does not have. Fog is NOT the big bogeyman you think it is - especially as a Thames site will not have any radiation fog. Is that clear enough?

And I am only flippant with people who are deliberately obtuse.

Skip:

I will ask you again to account for the safe operation of Virgin Atlantic, British Airways. Lufthansa, KLM and Air Canada, all of which I have seen with my own eyes leave Glasgow GLA/EGPF off the main runway of 2665m with space to spare on the B747-400.

Sorry Skip, but this is a pilot's forum, not the kindergarten. If you don't understand, then just lurk and see if you can learn something.

If you are at GLA with a shorter runway, then you have to accept the reduced length, and possibly shed some passengers and cargo too - especially on a hot day. I'm sure a 747 might even get airborne at Aberdeen, if you tried hard enough, but it would not be carrying much.

But if there is a perfectly serviceable 4,000m runway right next door, it would be almost criminal not to use it. And I would hope you might expect (being SLF yourself), that the guys up front are taking the safest and most professional options.