PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 16:51
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS,

Let's not go round dismissing every single airport in the UK, that really just opens this into a rather messy and pointless rant. Or do you want me to start on JFK - I mean, how many terminals? ATL? Enough!

Back to the history of new, out of the way, mega-airports - generally a very messy game, with so much that can go wrong - and that is just the ones that don't sink.

Is it not fair to say that those that work do so because they have not just space to grow, but also because they are not hindered by other airports in their hinterland.

Consider - DEN, HKG, MUC and the new BER - replacing previous airports, shut down, gone.

Good lobbying has held DAL back against DFW.

Then there's good old Mirabel!

Now imagine you are pitching this airport idea in the Dragon's Den - remember, UK Govt Plc would need a serious rights issue to fund this one!

Look at the risks:

-No guarantee demand for air travel will continue to rise - LHR traffic has -barely moved in last 10 years, despite T5.
-UK highest taxation rates for air travel in world - especially long haul
-Oil more likely to go up in cost, not down.
-Concerns over climate change likely to limit growth of aviation market.

Then if you want your SWAT analysis, consider the opposition:

-For GNB Island (George, norm & Boris) to work, how many London areas would be asked, or made to close? None? Welcome to Mirabel 2.0. Just LHR? how about LCY? Or all of them? A political and financial nightmare to put so many separate companies out of business, especially as BAA has been forced to sell LGW and EDI.
-You talk of 'interlining' between loco and long haul at CDG & AMS. I wouldn't call that interlining, people who do this are making two entirely seperate bookings, attemtping to avoid UK long haul APD. But this is often a false economy, as there is no comeback if any one (of at least 4) legs of the overall trip is delayed. Either way, this leakage is down to tax difference rather than infrastructure. Most loco AMS and CDG traffic is PTP, in case you weren't aware, they both happen to be rather attractive cities to visit. Why would investors want to put billions in to a new airport facility to go after this market, when price sensitive travellers would just continue to usee STN, LTN etc.

Now in very crude figures - if, and it is a very big if, you could build this airport for £50bn, and the airport could make a clean PROFIT (not PSC) of £10 out of each one, unless my calculator is having a very bad day, I make that 50 years to pay back at 0% APR.

Do you know any good banks which would support this deal, I will move my mortgage to them!