PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 16:09
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fgm:

Your understanding of history is wanting I am afraid.

There was no great design years ago that has led to this structure. If you could start all over again that would be great and your end result would't look like it does now, but you can't.
My understanding of history is second to none.

And that is the whole problem, isn't it? There was no planning, there was no thinking, there was no foresight.

>>Even when fine airports like Gaydon or became available, nobody thought of using them. Its no problem, we can hack the cross-winds and the dodgy flightpath directly over the city.
>>When Finningly became available, they still put money into the grotesque amusement arcade known as Leeds (anyone for a roller-coaster landing?? £5 extra, if we bounce more than once.....)
>>When Filton became available, they still used an airfield that had been designed for bad weather practice.
>>When MAN wanted a new terminal, they put it on the wrong side; and when they wanted a new runway, they put it too close to the old runway. So now you have an airport that cannot do parallel approaches, and has absolutely no spare stands (and nowhere to put any new stands) - oh, just wait for 45 minutes, before a stand becomes available. Brilliant.
>>And Luton. Oh, just don't mention Luton. Tell me of any other airport in the world, that has built a terminal without any windows?
>>Liverpool? Lesson number one in how to completely disfigure and destroy a brand new terminal. And you wonder why I question the sanity of architects...

Just because there were (many) mistakes and a distinct lack of foresight in the past, does not mean that we desperately need to bury our heads in the sand now. Tell me what would happen to UK Plc, if LHR became a small regional airport, because all the heavies had moved to AMS and CDG? What would the great City of London become then?

Bold action is required (not something the previous or present governments would know much about).

The Leeds amusement arcade.

Paddy Air, at Leeds. The runway is towards the bottom left, chaps.

This is the Chinese approach at Leeds (Whun-wing Low).

The dodgems ride, is in the car park (drivers with flat caps, you understand)

Last edited by silverstrata; 22nd Nov 2011 at 17:18.