PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finnish Lappeenranta to become Ryanair's gate to Russia?
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 12:56
pee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Falconson

Hi, Cyril.

To make things clear, I'm not the employee of Ryanair. My knowledge is related to some local sources - not even directly located in LPP as I live elsewhere in Finland.
I'll make some comments, though.
> The demand is very strong.
Indeed, it seems to be strong, but as you write...
> 90% of my clients are Russians travelling to Europe, 10% are Westerns coming to LED.
...and it's the result of the fact Ryanair do not even hint Lappeenranta as their "gate to Russia", as stated in the title of this thread and do not mention St. Petersburg. Whatever the reason, they don't advertise that in such way (elsewhere the airports' proximity to big centres is being emphasized, here not). There is no information about any bus connections LPP <-> LED on FR site either.
> That really works!
Well, it does, despite the very restrained attitude of Ryanair. But to my knowledge, there are no new routes coming to LPP regardless of the potential it has. Why? Mainly because Ryanair wants a couple-euro-per-pax marketing support from the town of Lappeenranta. It probably won't happen, because so many travellers, like your customers, just don't need Lappenranta town for their European travels. They need just LPP airport and Ryanair, nothing else, their money will not return to commune of Lappeenranta. As simple as that. Now back to Ryanair. They are obviously the party that could gain the most from this exceptional location of LPP. In their thinking there is, however, one main obstacle. No support, no routes. In other words, no 2 euro per pax, nothing will happen. In that case it looks like a very unreasonable self-limiting rule. You write
> Barcelona thats the most popular city for Russians here.
It possibly means, that Ryanair could try to sell tickets LPP - BCN or LPP - GRO with profit from the very beginning without the couple-euro-per-pax extra. Yeah, but here we go again: no support, no routes. Needless to say, they could sell bus tickets of the enterprise like yours getting the 2 €/ pax this way, but aren't active in that regard.

Having said this, keep trying in getting the attention, the potential is there, I'm sure.

Anyway, what would the Russian authorities say if someone tried to advertise LPP as St. Petersburg-West? Can you anticipate?

Last edited by pee; 22nd Nov 2011 at 13:12.