PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight Rating
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2002, 21:47
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few years ago I looked into buying a share in a Jabiru at a club in the UK so I could potter around when I am back home. I only have one of those nasty FAA 'back of the cornflake packet' certificates, but the CAA does graciously let me fly a C152 in UK airspace. I thought a microlight should be no problem, but I was shocked to find out the CAA considers Jabirus are out of my league .

Fair enough I thought (or not). I'll just get some dual, get signed off by an instructor and fly without passengers on a student solo type of ticket. Apparently that is not allowed either. Something to do with not being allowed to rent a microlight, to fly solo you have to be an owner, have a licence or be studying for a licence. As I already have a FAA licence (although it does not allow me to fly a microlight), the CAA says I can not claim to be studying for a microlight licence, and so CAA regs do not permit me to be a microlight student.

This is what the club told me, they advised me to contact the CAA, a thoroughly frustrating exercise, and I gave up.

So I put away my cheque book, and took my money which I would have loved to have spent in UK aviation to another country where regulations appear to be more sensible.