PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 10:20
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skipness:

LHR does not have a lot of domestic, it is overwhelmingly international and this is anything from a Fokker 70 / A318 to an A380, often using the same gates, split Left and Right for the smaller aircraft.

There are no "short" runways at CDG, they land on the outer and depart on the inner as per LAX.

Because LHR is so limited in arrivals, it does not have so much domestic - AND IS THEREFORE MISSING OUT ON A GREAT DEAL OF INTERLINING TRAFFIC.

Why do you think that people now fly to AMS or CDG to pick up a State-side flight? Because it is so damn difficult to get a cheap flight into LHR - whereas Easyjet and BMI-B fly direct to CDG and AMS.

And regards the layout of CDG, this was the situation the last time I went there.

Now sorry, but looking at that Jeppy, I distinctly see long runways and short runways. Is that just my eyes, or are you talking rot again?

And yes, I have also seen a 747 landing on the short - but I did not say that, did I. I said taking off on the short, which would be most interesting.

And the logic still stands. Separating light and heavy traffic speeds up arrivals to an airport. And so anyone who designs a nice new airport with all the runways so close together that there cannot be any separation, is, well, stupid. Foster included.

In addition, Foster's absurd creation appears to have runways so close together, that you could not do simultaneous approaches. Do you think that is a good idea? Do you think Foster should get a plastic medal for creating an airport that may actually end up as a complete White Elephant??

Skipness:

Silverstrata stop calling people you disagree with "stupid".

I am not calling people who disagree with me 'stupid'. I am calling people who present wholly incorrect or even deceitful information 'stupid'.

Plus Lord Foster, who appears to have used lawyers and media consultants to advise on the construction of a new airport - instead of pilots, controllers and airport managers. Now THAT is 'stupid'.

Last edited by silverstrata; 22nd Nov 2011 at 10:35.