PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 00:25
Diagnostic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machinbird
In my opinion the reason for the stick against the stop after the stall had nothing to do with the earlier nose up inputs seen in Grity's graph. The post stall nose up was an effort to control the nose bobble in the stall. You can see clearly when PF changes his strategy in the BEA stick position charts.
Agreed completely, Machinbird. Like you, I see evidence (in both the control handling and CVR transcript) that the PF seems to have changed his mental picture (perhaps because he never found one that fitted with the plane's behaviour?).

IMHO the clearest example of incompatible actions for a single mental picture, are him mentioning TOGA (perhaps stall avoidance was in his mind then?), and at another time the "crazy speed" comment and (brief) deployment of the speedbrakes.

Therefore I believe comparing his actions at different times, to try to produce a consistent theory (or to try to disprove an explanation for one handling or another) is unfortunately futile, as his mental picture of the situation (and hence the reason for comments & control movements at each point) was likely varying throughout the event.