PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 00:24
TTex600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gums, I'm not in the training department, therefore I don't keep up with the specific FAR's. So this is from memory.

A standard FAR 121 Captains PC consists of: Low vis taxi, normal takeoff and area departure, airwork (stalls, steep turns, etc - the stalls are not required in the Airbus), one arrival, one normal precision approach, one single engine precision approach, one non precision approach, one missed approach, one CAT II/III approach (if CAT II/III approved) one V1 cut, and one emergency. The only times the A/P is required to be off are: one single engine ILS, and by at least MDA -50ft on the non-precision approaches. I'm probably missing something here, but for now I think you get the picture.

The only time we get training is in initial. After that, due to constraints of money, they give us the minimum, which consists of checking only. Occasionally we focus on something like the UAS/ADIRS, but that is the exception not the rule. I'm sure a training dept member will be able to give more data, but rest assured that we are given the little more than FAR mins. The same goes for recurrent ground school. It's now down to three days. One day on systems, one for GOM/FAR issues, and one for hazmat/security/etc. My current airline is my fourth and I must say that only one of the four actually provided me with thorough training in the airplane and on the ground. Interestingly enough, that carrier trained in the airplane (B1900) instead of using simulators.

It is my opinion that the US Airline companies rely more on the accumulated skill and experience of the Captains corps than they do on providing good training. IOW, they assume the Captains will give the FO's "on the job training" and that practice will continue from one generation to the next. This was likely good practice when the Captains were mostly military trained, but in the last 20 years the amount of ex mil pilots has dwindled. For the record, I am not military, but am well enough educated to recognize that the military produces/produced well trained pilots. I personally benefited greatly from flying with retired USN pilots early in my career. Unfortunately, historical accident statistics don't prove the past to be any better than the present. But I believe that to be an anomaly. Technology has improved safety, and has tempted airline management to hire less qualified pilots. When you mix a well qualified, well trained, well educated, well experienced pilot with technology in an abnormal situation you get the Miracle on the Hudson. Sadly, that generation of pilots is rapidly retiring.

Edit: One more thing, I am truly saddened and amazed by the number of pilots who chalk the AF447 accident up to nothing more than pilot error. I don't want to be seen as breaking my own elbow patting myself on the back, but I talk about this to everyone I can get to listen and most of them really can't conceive of it being anything other than a screwed up pilot. I personally believe the cause is much deeper than the pilot not knowing how to get out of a stall.