PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2011, 22:56
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dozy
I don't think even with a death-grip on the stick it would be possible to inadvertently pull halfway back without intending to - there's a fair amount of travel involved. But the kicker is that he *slammed it back against the stop* from 2:11:40 to 2:12:15, and there is absolutely no way that could be done accidentally.
Dozy, In my opinion the reason for the stick against the stop after the stall had nothing to do with the earlier nose up inputs seen in Grity's graph. The post stall nose up was an effort to control the nose bobble in the stall. You can see clearly when PF changes his strategy in the BEA stick position charts.

The early nose up inputs have to be the result of an improper (palmed) stick grip. Do you see the NE-SW orientation of many of the motions? These indicate (at least to me) that PF was controlling the aircraft in roll with wrist flexion instead of rotation.
When he had to get to the far left corner on the chart, he was probably pulling his elbow off the rest also. Looks like the "Death Grip" on the stick was going full blast from the beginning. He wasn't at all relaxed.

Maybe they should put force transducers inside the stick to measure the "squeeze" on the stick. That might tell the psychologists a lot about a pilot's mental state.