PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2011, 20:17
indie cent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver,

I believe we may be in disagreement about timescales only.

Although you can't argue against expansion with the gem:

Because LHR is simply too small
Haha!

Yep to this...
The taxiways are full, the stands are full,
...but the 3rd runway was planned with an additional Terminal and it's own taxiways.

Crossrail can mitigate the road congestion and really is being built in the near to medium term. The regional bus services to T5 are actually rather remarkable.

Notwithstanding all of the above. I believe the offer was to build the extra runway to alleviate congestion for minimal expansion of actual movements. So I don't believe all your analysis is correct.

We have the congestion problems (you rightly mention) now. Here and present in glrious technicolour (or color, if you prefer).

Due to nimbyism, lobby groups, stagnant political thought etc etc etc. We have no plan. None. Nothing. That is why IAG are buying a loss making company. For slots. Meanwhile UK PLC, which desperately needs income is throwing it away.

The island airport is not a completely flawed plan. There's merit in the high speed rail links to N Europe and the 24 hour operation will be a competitive necessity in a future world with Dubai's Al Maktoum International...

But at the moment, last time I looked, at the end of the Thames there is a windfarm and a few blotches of sand.

The estuary project - if it's agreed - will need an unbelievable amount of infrastructure that doesn't even exist. Hasn't been planned, or approved, or costed. The roads to the North of London aren't exactly desolated either. Just to remind you that we're at a population of over 62 Million. I could go on, but you get the picture.

So yup, I hope we do get a new airport. But I don't see the need to crucify ourselves whilst we dither over what to do because we left it all too late! ...Groan!!!

iC