PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cheaper than Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2011, 15:09
Torque Tonight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This old drivel again

The problem with this OLD story is that the journos always select an extreme passenger group as their 'typical' example in order to skew the stats and generate the shock headline grabbing result that they are seeking. Last time the Mail trotted this out their calculations were based on two adults and two kids each with two 20kg hold suitcases, a full meal, a round of snacks, several drinks and priority boarding /allocated seating for all.

I have probably travelled as a passenger on locos the best part of 100 times, sometimes commuting, sometimes on business trips and sometimes holiday. I have never bought food or drink on board. I have on only one return trip needed to check in hold luggage (and that was when scuba diving for a week). I have never paid for speedy boarding etc but normally end up with perfectly acceptable seating. I have never bought scratchcards, never bought their travel insurance, never been fined for forgetting my travel documents etc etc. You get the picture.

It's not rocket science. If you use them right, the locos are cheaper, probably hence the name. You only have to look at the customers voting with their wallets and FR's recent profit reports. If however, you are not the kind of person who can travel light, you need to check in a double bass and 5 bags of cement, and then have 12 cans of Carslberg on the way down to the Costas, then maybe you need to choose an airline with a greater inclusive allowance.