PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet to trial allocated seating
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2011, 13:56
easyflyer83

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I pay £1,800 for five of us to go Faro and back. Low cost? To who? "Speedy Boarding" would have added an additional £135 to our holiday. Stuff that. I sent my seven year old on first with all of the boarding passes, followed by her slightly elder brothers (one at a time) and let the cabin crew sort out the mess. I really don't care if this causes a delay. No problem for me. They can sit next to whomever they want. But if EasyJet would like to make my experience of expensive air travel more agreeable, they can allocate seats to my family for free, like real airlines.
Sorry mate but you come across as a complete . Crew will always get a young child sat with their parent full stop but we wouldn't get the whole family sat together. Most crew would bend over backwards to accomodate passengers such as yourself but it wouldn't be our mess to sort out if you didn't arrive at the gate in good time knowing that you were travelling as a family. And you would have been cutting it fine because any family on a very busy flight boarding last (which you would have to have done if you encountered seating problems) has left it pretty late.You would have got your children sat with one of you but with that attitude, it would have been purely for the childrens sake.

Whilst not knowing where you are travelling from, London to Faro is about 1,500 as the crow flies when it's sober. That's 3,000 miles each and 15,000 seat miles for five. So £1,800 is about 8.3 pence per mile? Not bad.
Precisely. In the past I have had passengers who complain about fares on some of out longest routes. I hear them out even though I don't set them and didn't force them to book. I then ask how much they paid and sometimes I can't help but smile. Nobody is denying that £1500 (and even smaller amounts) is a lot of money to many but I have also given the per mile breakdown once or twice and it doesn't half put it into perspective. Lets not forget that a sizable chunk of that is taxes which the airline never see's. Plus a average rail fare in the UK is around 20p per mile.

Thanks, not a big issue. Perhaps in my mind, having bought a ticket, I have also bought some alloacation of overhead storage. kind of a fairness thing.
Your fare includes luggage space appropriate to the luggage that you board the aircraft with. If it pretty small, it is little hardship in placing it under your seat and chances are you can place it in the locker once boarding is complete and provided there is space. Small items generally are easily able to wedge in. Plus, small bags are best placed in the overhead locker last anyway otherwise they either get rammed to the back get stuck underneath a trolley bag.

[quoteAh, yes ... it just depends what allocation is left for you. Perhaps 12 cubic inches? Whilst manufacturers have expanded and toughened the lockers, there is rarely enough space for what pax want to bring on these days.][/quote]

That is the case on a relative few (mainly some of the intra-continentals)routes. However, on the vast majority of flights there is space provided passengers follow a few simple steps.
1) small items such as handbags and small rucksacks-under the seat.
2) Jackets and coats. Place these under seat or, once boarding complete, in the overhead lockers ontop of the bags where it won't get dirty from trolley bag wheels
3) For heavens sake, show courtesy to your fellow passengers and don't sling your trolley bag in length ways.

Nearly all, if not all bags on a busy flight can be accommodated by following these simple steps. It's like a jigsaw puzzle but it's amazing how much you can fit in those lockers.