PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there REALLY a shortage of LAE's?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2011, 13:55
tournesol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots and engineers are very different professions.
They are both equally indispensable members of the aviation community.
I don't know enough about the engineers or pilots shortages, so no commenst in that area.
As for the pay parity, I beleive it will always be that pilots, in particular captains get paid substantially more than engineers.
The main reasons are, the pilot is required to undergo medical check up and at a doctors's stroke, his/her carrier is in jeopardy. Annually or bi-annually the pilot has to pass an evaluation that could jeopardize the carrier if not passed succesfully. A multitude of other checks, such as line check, Dangerous goods, First aid, MNPS,etc.... have to be passed.
By nature of the job, pilots tend to spend more time away from home, while engineers even the ones working shifts tend to be more at home.
Engineers on the other hand do not have to go through such stringent evaluations after the initial qualifications, unless aquiring a new rating.
The idea that pilots have stronger unions, I am not convinced.
All airforces around the world and airlines from certain parts of the world where unions are not allowed, have similar parities betwen pilots and engineers.
It does not mean one is better than the other, it is just like a banana and an orange are both tasty and good for your health, but they are different.

Last edited by tournesol; 21st Nov 2011 at 14:37.