PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2002, 18:22
moggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tree........

Accepted - the B737 hardover did not cause fins to fail but it did cause fatal crashes.

Boeing said "there is no problem" but published a recovery technique and then redesigned the rudder for the B737 NG - pretty telling for "no problem".

I am not saying Airbus are perfect or Boeing cr@p - just trying to point out the one-sided arguement. Why should european airliners be grounded if they have problems but American ones keep flying? Could we be talking bias here?

Any crash is a tragedy and should be investigated fully but the truth will only emerge if that investigation is both neutral and open minded. We learn from our errors and if carbon fibre tails are found to be inappropriate then action will be taken.

Concorde has been worked on and the problem sorted ou, the Comet was fixed (and still flies safely today as the RAF's Nimrod), Boeing have reworked their 737 PFCU and I expect that they will sort out the "exploding" fuel pumps, too.

I feel that there is a tendency to turn the blind eye to faults on American products if you live west of 30W - after all, Ford and Firestone said that the Explorer was fine!