PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hercules questions
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2011, 12:02
Father Jack Hackett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't flown Albert for a few years, but I think I can recall the fundamentals so here goes....

The No. 1 (port outboard) is the critical engine. This is due to the thrust line of the engines being offset slightly to the starboard, due to some sort of progression jiggery pokery (that Aero Eng degree didn't do me much good) resulting from the clockwise (viewed from the aft) rotation of the props. Therefore the live No. 4 (starboard outboard) engine would produce more of a yawing moment than if the situation were reversed.

In terms of the approach, I believe it was better to have a crosswind from the right, as during asymmetric handling with the critical engine failed, one would have both right rudder trim and up to 5 degrees right-wing-down ("5 to the live") aileron trim to balance the asymmetry. However, a crosswind from the left (failed side) favoured handling on the landing roll as the weather-cocking effect would ameliorate the asymmetric drag effect of the No.4 being in flight-idle, then ground idle while the inboards are in reverse and the failed prop is feathered/stopped.

Again, my recall is a bit rusty, but I believe it was considered preferable to take a crosswind from the left as the after-landing effects were trickier to deal with than the effects of crosswind on approach.

Standing by to be shot down by my former colleagues.....