PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2011, 11:15
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is important to realise that the NPAS proposals will bring about a fundamental change in the way Police Air Support will be used, and also in the way it is perceived by the public.

Until now the Police Helicopter has proved to be highly effective in combating vehicle crime, onstreet muggings and some burglaries etc, also in its search role whether it be for lost and vulnerable mispers or escaped fugitives. Some problematical crimes such as the ram raid have been almost eliminated. The gathering of evidence especially photographic evidence has been made easier.

But now with the jam spread so thin, it is likely that the role of the helicopter will change. I suspect the tendency will be away from mainly reactive Policing, to that of being part of the resources available for major and pre planned events.

Chief Officers appear to have lost interest in arresting criminals for street and vehicle crime. What is more important now is to make a good showing in controlling major sporting events, demonstrations and public order issues. They were always important before, but together with Counter Terrorism appear to be the only consideration now. ( I fully support the need for enhanced counter terrorism )

But there is a danger in the way we are moving away from the needs of the general public. Make no bones about it, generally speaking the public at large supported the use of the Police Helicopter in combating local crime. It was effective, and above all visible. When there was no Bobby on the Beat the public still knew we were about because of the helicopter. "it makes us feel safe" was the comment often heard. It had a serious effect on the criminal too. The increased chance of being caught did deter many from that sort of crime and enhanced community safety at the same time.

Sadly the era of NPAS will markedly reduce that advantage to Policing in general. Yes! - I know it was expensive, and change had to come, but there were other ways of saving money without reducing the fleet so much.

I maintain that what is coming will save some money in the short term, but will have a huge cost in the years to come. The public will lose yet more confidence in the Police as the Helicopter appears less and less in their sky's

tigerfish

AKA Ol grumpy.

Last edited by tigerfish; 21st Nov 2011 at 15:47.