PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do Air NZ and other Kiwi pilots fare?
Old 21st Nov 2011, 03:59
Massey058

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
totempole,

I don't think NZ has ever properly recovered from the late 80's. There is a huge lack of capital by virtue of its small population and only a small group of exceptionally intelligent and talented entrepreneurs overwhelmingly outnumbered by a huge group of 'low productivity' suits and business owners. Middle-class welfare as it's put only seeks to address the low pay rates in NZ and hasn't necessarily worked. The current Government has failed just as much as the previous 3.

That all said, I was in Canada a week ago and I've got to say I was surprised by how expensive it is. Flights alone were phenomenally expensive, especially when compared to the US (although a much larger and competitive market). Entry into Air Canada is 2 years probation on CAD 36,000 - seriously !

Combine that with the need to buy huge amounts of winter gear just to survive I actually couldn't work out how my friends and their friends actually managed to survive.

I don't think I could afford to live in New Zealand or Canada, both beautiful countries.

Last edited by Massey058; 21st Nov 2011 at 04:08. Reason: Spelling