PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nav exam.. Request a little help!?
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2011, 23:02
RyanRs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav exam.. Request a little help!?

Hi
I have hit my second hurdle in my PPL training, first being my Air law exam getting in the way of flying my first solo, well fast forward 14 hours and i am now ready for my Solo Nav exercise and once again i am grounded until i gain a pass in the Navigation exam! :/

Well, i have had some good ground schooling, i have read the AFE book and gone through the OAA Nav CBT, I am 99% confident with the CRP-5 (wind side) and pretty ok with the front side. Planning routes and finding / measuring true tracks, true winds on true charts is no issue. However! I am still yet fairly un-confident and fear taking the exam! The reason is because of what everyone has told me and from what i have read about how accurate you have to be to prevent choosing the wrong answer which could lead to a knock on effect thus giving 5 wrong answers in a row!!

I have no issues with drawing near perfect true track lines and measuring the true track but in practise i still manage to get myself 1/2 a degree out here or there and altho i select the correct answer in the end, its never the actual answer i worked out, just the nearest answer to it! Now, given how fussy the CAA are about the accuracy in this exam, i have little confidence that i will pass it and instead cock it up because my wizz wheel has perhaps been stamped 1/4 degree out and combine that with nerves causing me to draw my true line .025' wrong but in the same direction.. that adds up to 3/4' and ultimately gives me the wrong end answer!

Anyway, so to stop rambling on, what i ask is. If it is allowed, would someone be so kind as to tell me the locations of the route that i shall have to plan in the exam (i shall be taking Paper 1), so i can measure them up before hand and be 100% certain i am happy with my tracks before i go in? Now, i dont see how this can be classed as cheating as its not giving away any answers, and with regard to Nav planning -you can either do it or you can't! I just don't want to fail like loads do because of something that may be out of my control!

I hope most of you can understand where i am coming from with this issue and i hope someone can help! I really want to progress with my flying but this has really got me stuck!

Thanks
Ry