PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2011, 22:26
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying eagle:
So I assume the new Airport would replace LHR?

I do think the airport would be the wrong side of London and just a bit too far from Central London. LHR is in the wrong place but at the same time in a great place for business with access to the Thames Valley corridor and West London.

Also what will happen to the 80,000 workers who live this side of London and the thousands more workers in industries that will be affected by the eventual closure of LHR if this goes ahead?

Yes, it would replace LHR.

Passengers from the Thames airport would access the Thames valley corridor by Cross-rail. The M25 is more problematic, because of capacity restrictions. I did tell planners back in the late 1970s that the M25 needed 6 lanes a side, but again they thought they knew better.

The old LHR will become a boom-town, as it is re-designated as the largest industrial park and housing estate in the S.E. So not all the workers will need to relocate, there will be plenty of jobs around Heathrow. The money from this new estate, is what will pay for Boris Island and the Thames airport infrastructure.

Aviation workers will need to relocate, of course, and new-towns will need to be constructed in Kent and Essex to house them - with rapid transit links via the new rail system to the island, from car parks and bus terminals to the north and south. This is a 10 - 15 year project. The most difficult period will be the switchover, but many large corporations have moved their head office without too much difficulty.