PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2011, 22:08
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow Director:
<<Likewise the approach spacing of 1.5nm>>
Novel, but nonsense.
Gatwick have special permission from the CAA to run 'reduced wake vortex separation minima' of 2.5nm (and I have heard of less than that).
But certainly in regard to arriving/departing aircraft, that reduces to 1.5nm. Many is the time I have landed while the departing is still on the runway (a 'land after' clearance). Or indeed, the landing aircraft in front is still on the runway.

N Thomas:
Silverstrata you may well be able to fly a plane but since when has that made you an expert on planning, civil engineering and architectural matters. Have you studied Lord Foster's proposals in detail. The newish Hong Kong airport designed by Foster has it's terminal at one end and works well.

If you want a meaningful discussion on a new London Airport I suggest you would be wise not to alienate the very people who can contribute something to the debate.

I see nothing at the end of Lap Kok runways, for overrunning aircraft to run into.

And while being nice to everyone is very New Labour, it gets nothing done. Why do you think that no UK infrastructure was built over the last decade, while China has built 40 cities the size of Birmingham? (Even if some of them remain empty.)
This is a city built for a million people - but no one lives here | Mail Online

Aero Mad:
My solution:
Heathrow - long/medium-haul flights only.
Gatwick - short/medium-haul flights only.
Manston - overflow.

Ok.... American businessman in Heathrow, short-haul connection in Gatwick, bags at Manston. Brilliant. With thinking like that, the future of Schiphol is assured.