PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2011, 19:35
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd really like to see more info on this 320 "limit", in particular where implemented and which laws and on what data, but I've found nothing other than the comments on here so far.
If the 330 SS were released at the apex of the zoom, all else equal, one of two things would have happened:

1. If the existing flight path at the time the SS is released would result in maintaining a speed/AOA in a range out of the stall (speed above, AOA below), then all is well and NO pilot intervention would be required to avoid a stall.

2. If the existing flight path at the time the SS is released would result in a continued decrease in airspeed and a subsequent continued increase in AOA to maintain the flight path, then NU elevator and follow up NU THS motion would occur ‘HANDS OFF’ until which time the pilot would have to intervene to avoid the stall.

This is why I’m a little suspicious of the A320 sim comparison, in which holding significant back stick force was described as a requirement, just to maintain 15 degrees of pitch PRIOR to the stall. Sounds like a low speed stability function of some sort was still in play in the 320?

In ALT2, the A330 would not require any back stick force (i.e. SS could be released to neutral) to hold the commanded pitch attitude/FP, and would do so as long as the aircraft maintained the speed/AOA to do so. Simulations can be ‘right on’ or not, and that’s why the regular evaluations are done using both automated QTG’s, and in the case of stalls (those which WERE done in flight test, i.e. evidently necessary, probably expensive, not terribly dangerous) manual QTG’s are flown to assure the nearest possible fidelity to flight test data that WAS made available.

Further, I would doubt that, once in the stall if the SS was released with the THS at 13 degrees, that the THS would of its own accord just roll back to a position of 3 or 4 degrees, trim positions that correspond to neutralizing the dynamic pressure for a speed range of around 265 KIAS down to around 215 KIAS at 1 G, not 150-180 KIAS and below in a clean config which won’t support a 1 G aero load factor.

If the SS had simply been released in the stall at 40+ AOA and 1 G, what 1 G unstalled flight path does anyone think would have eventually been achieved with the aircraft referenced acceleration already around 1 G and on a current flight path headed steeply down hill with dynamic pressure quite a bit less than that at 215 KIAS and above? ‘Splain it to me please.

Last edited by OK465; 20th Nov 2011 at 19:46. Reason: pitch/FP