PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO's more likely to allow IFR over VFR
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2011, 19:14
Talkdownman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by possibleconsequences
Surely the vfr transit would be easier to give in class d? you wouldn't need to provide separation then
Yeah, but in Class D nasty Old Duty Of Care will rear its ugly head and the LCEs will expect a so-called 'best practice' element of lateral deconfliction from head-down IFRs busy watching instruments, the IFR pilots occasional get upset if they look up and get a nasty surprise and see a VFR self-separator playing it too close for their comfort. Also where I used to work VFR singles couldn't always be trusted to behave themselves (they were invariably already busting the Alight Clear Rule because just about the entire CTR was a congested area, dry or wet...) on their dodgy sightseeing flights and were subjected to a bit of a capability guesstimate on first contact. If they couldn't get the talking right in the first place they were unlikely to get the flying right. Much easier to clear IFR with a tactical vector, no messing, job done.

Originally Posted by LeeP-PA28
My question to you is : as an ATCO, do you see VFR pilots inside your airspace more of a problem than say, an IFR pilot? Even if the routing is the same, even if the VFR pilot could maintain the same as the IFR pilot? It happens a lot at a nearby Class D and recently, I tried the same trick IFR and was allowed straight through, on my intended track at my intended altitude

Many thanks

Lee
Hey, Lee, do you fly up and down the Lea Valley?