PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter flying in Germany.
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2002, 15:00
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you've heard is almost beyond belief, but apparently true.
I've never needed to research the German regs for professional purposes, but my understanding of the position is:

(1) Professional pilots can obtain a general permission from the German CAA to land/take off away from authorised heliports for the purpose of commercial flights.

(2) A pilot on a private flight cannot cannot land at a private site without obtaining specific permission even if he holds a CPL(H).

(3) Obtaining permission for a private flight is not a formality, even if the pilot is a CPL(H). The authorities usually insist on inspecting the site, and impose conditions. Presumably, they don't consider even qualified commercial pilots have the ability to make their own judgement.

(4) If you don't have a CPL(H) your application is almost invariably refused.

I've been told by a German friend that the 'reasoning' (his word, not mine) behind these stupid restrictions is that if all helicopter pilots were allowed to just fly around and land where they want, when they wants, then why bother getting a CPL?

I don't understand the logic - but I'm not German!

Moral of the story: Avoid Germany if you want an enjoyable helicopter flying holiday!

Tudor Owen

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 7th Nov 2002 at 15:11.